The West Shed is located on the Swanwick Junction museum complex of the Midland Railway-Butterley, Ripley, Derbyshire. Normal access to the Swanwick museum complex is via a heritage train ride from the Midland Railway’s Butterley Station (fare payable), alighting at Swanwick station to walk up to the West Shed. Please note that this walk is approximately 430 metres (5-10 minutes) and includes some uneven surfaces.
For directions to the Midland Railway-Butterley station, train times and fares, please see their website: Find Us – Midland Railway Butterley (midlandrailway-butterley.co.uk)
The West Shed is operated by The Princess Royal Class Locomotive Trust, which is a separate organization from the Midland Railway – visitor access to the site is shared.
The Princess Royal Class Locomotive Trust – The West Shed
c/o: Midland Railway-Butterley, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3QZ
(please note – this is the postcode for Butterley Station, not the West Shed itself)
Sketch plan of the Midland Railway-Butterley’s Swanwick Junction Museum Complex with the West Shed highlighted:
*Reopening 24th July 2021*
The West Shed is open to visitors at weekends, 11am to 4pm, when the Midland Railway-Butterley is operating trains
- Toilets: Inside the West Shed there are several toilets including male cubicles, female cubicles and an Accessible toilet.
- Souvenir Shop.
- Refreshments: The West Shed does not have a traditional cafe but we have a serving area for light refreshments (hot and cold drinks, biscuits, crisps, etc) available most weekends subject to volunteer availability.
- Baby Changing Facilities: The West Shed has a small ‘Parent & Baby Room’ which contains a changing table. There are additional baby changing facilities elsewhere on the Swanwick Junction museum site approximately 5 minutes walk from the West Shed.
- Reference Library & research facilities: for more information on our non-displayed collections and how to access them, please click HERE.
- Inside the West Shed there are several toilets including male cubicles, female cubicles and an Accessible toilet.
- Disabled parking is available close to the the West Shed if required. Please contact us in advance for advice and directions.
- We have a lift for wheelchair access to upper floors in the West Shed.
- Hearing induction loops in the cinema.
- There is seating available at various points inside the West Shed.
- Access information relating to the wider Midland Railway-Butterley site and for train rides can be found on their website.